1. This article in Vogue magazine back in the early 80s was the first to open my eyes to Giorgio Armani. It was the first time I had seen a designer/design portrayed in a serious way. I thought he looked so cool and I loved that he had a bicycle on the runway. Actually that bike added a lighthearted and sporty touch that made the Armani persona so intriguing to me.
2. The party begins! The opening of Armani Silos with a retrospective of Giorgio Armani’s forty year career!
3. One of the 160 looks at tonight’s Armani retrospective show! Just over her shoulder is Leonardo DiCaperio, Cate Blanchett, Sophia Loren and just a bit further down was Tina Turner and Glenn Close. Seriously glamorous night in Milan.
4. This is Giorgio Armani modeling his own clothes in Italian Vogue November 1974. This is the text that accompanied it translated into English in the back of that issue “No doubt, this is the year of his debut, even if, strange as it may sound, when thinking of him that for years now is going full swing. Until yesterday, after all, he never showed his collections with his name. He kept away from the show-window. He allowed his collections to be shown with the labels of the firms with which he collaborated. But he could not miss a date with Milan, the new center of men’s fashion. Finally he decided: he joined all his collections and introduced himself personally in the halls of the extremely old Carminati restaurant in the Piazza del Duomo for the Spring dress rehearsal.”
5. Giorgio Armani’s first ad in Italian Vogue September 1974 announcing his first runway show on October 10th at 5:30 Ristorante Carminati. In the ad he explains that he will present his work for Hilton, Gibo, Montedoro, Sicons and Gabrielli for the first time under his own label. I can’t think of another designer that had entered the fashion world in quite this manner. I imagine the negotiations between all those Italian brands must have been very delicate. I’ve never heard him discuss this part of his early career which is too bad because it really speaks to his business as well as his creative genius.
6. How can Renata Molho keep getting more beautiful every year?
*Articles and Images from my personal Armani Archive & photos from last nights event.